Source: Mark Vester, boxingscene.com
During a recent interview with The Philippine Star, Joshua Clottey said WBO welterweight champion Manny Pacquiao would be a very tough opponent for Floyd Mayweather Jr. Pacquiao won a dominating twelve round decision over Clottey last Saturday at Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, Texas.

Clottey says Pacquiao's high level of activity will present a lot of issues for Mayweather.

“To be frank with you, the fight will be very, very tough for Mayweather,” said Clottey. Pacquiao is very fast and he keeps on throwing punches. Mayweather doesn’t throw too much. So, Manny will give him problems. Lots of problems."

Clottey did very little in the fight. His comments to The Star give the same message that most insiders believed was the truth - Clottey was happy to go the distance and finish on his feet.

“I think I did my best. But Manny Pacquiao has defeated almost everybody and he knocked them out,” said Clottey. “Unfortunately, I lost. I did what I can. I did my best. Maybe next time I can improve."

Pacquiao's trainer Freddie Roach told the paper Clottey's safety-first style killed his chances to return to HBO, and to receive a future title shot on the network.

“He was satisfied with going the distance with Manny Pacquiao. And he did. But HBO will never use him again. They told me. If you fight for a world title, you don’t go on a survival mode. You try to win the title cause you know one it’s a once in a lifetime. He’ll never get another title shot in his life,” Roach said.

0 comments