Source: Ivan 'LatinoPorVida' Montiel, fightfan.com


Courtesy of BoxeoMundial.com, see what Wilfredo Vazquez Jr. had to say about his Saturday WBO title fight against Marvin Sonsona!

Q: There has been a growing rivalry between Filipinos and Puerto Ricans recently. Sonsona said he will beat you to prove Filipino superiority over Puerto Ricans in boxing. What do you think about that?

WV: That’s so good because the whole world has the right to have great boxers… every country. With that said, Sonsona has to get himself familiar with the internet to see how many champions Puerto Rico has had and how many the Philippines is at now. Puerto Rico was at 58 but now it will be 59 because I Wilfredo Vazquez Jr. am going to become champion! Marvin will need to get his math right before talking to the press next time. He needs to stop talking trash because he needs to know the facts before talking or else he will look ridiculous. Manny Pacquiao is good, no doubt about it. He’s worked hard. But to suggest that Filipinos are better boxers than the Puerto Ricans? I highly doubt it. We have got 58 champions so far… how many do they have?



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q: Wilfredo what is your opinion of Marvin Sonsona?

WV: By looking at his record it’s obvious this kid can punch… but not all boxers have that KO punch. Some fighters have other abilities and I believe I have those abilities in my favour in this bout. I can box and punch. I am ready physically. The only difference he has is that he’s a southpaw. I just hope he comes in well prepared because I have the punch and I’m physically ready. I am ready for the bell to ring and I will be pressuring him from Rounds 1 through 12. If the KO comes sooner that’s better but I’m ready and have trained to go a full twelve rounds.

Q: Have you seen much video of Sonsona fighting?

WV: Yes I saw him fighting against ‘Carita’ Lopez. He’s a good boxer but there are a lot of boxers who are good but don’t put the work in. I work full time. The prize always comes to the one who’s worked hardest and I know how hard I’ve worked. This kid is good but I am 150 per cent confident that he will have problems on Saturday night!

Q: How did you feel when you signed for this fight?

WV: I really felt like all my sacrifices have paid off. All the hard work over the last three years has paid off. I have sacrificed a lot to get my opportunity for this title shot. When they asked me if I wanted the fight I said yes. I came home to my wife and was very emotional about getting this opportunity. I am not looking for fame, I just want to look up to God and be a responsible father and make a bright future for my family.

Q: Your father was a famous boxer. What can you tell us about watching him when you were young?

WV: I looked up to my father like every kid does… I was very proud of him. I respected him a lot more than I would have if he was a lawyer or something because he went to war dropping blood and getting bruised up for us. My father has been everything to us. My father fought hard and sacrificed a lot. I wanted to be just like my dad. He encouraged us to study but I ended up being a boxer and it’s given me a lot of pride. I am working very hard to come out on top like he did. I want to help my family the same way he did. I want to give my kids an education. God has given me a good opportunity and I have to keep working hard to achieve my dream.

Q: Does that work ethic instilled in you give you an advantage?

WV: Yes and I work very hard on my body in the gym. With my father in the corner it gives me a great mind and we’re able to go to plans A through Z in a fight. I have plan A which is to go at him at any cost… going to war. If he hasn’t prepared himself for this type of fight… thinking that I am going to run or be afraid of him because he has some power… he’s very mistaken. I am ready to leave it all in the ring down to my last drop of sweat. Like I said before I have been given this opportunity and I am going to take full advantage of it. Whatever it takes… I am well prepared.

Q: There has been a growing rivalry between Filipinos and Puerto Ricans recently. Sonsona said he will beat you to prove Filipino superiority over Puerto Ricans in boxing. What do you think about that?

WV: That’s so good because the whole world has the right to have great boxers… every country. With that said, Sonsona has to get himself familiar with the internet to see how many champions Puerto Rico has had and how many the Philippines is at now. Puerto Rico was at 58 but now it will be 59 because I Wilfredo Vazquez Jr. am going to become champion! Marvin will need to get his math right before talking to the press next time. He needs to stop talking trash because he needs to know the facts before talking or else he will look ridiculous. Manny Pacquiao is good, no doubt about it. He’s worked hard. But to suggest that Filipinos are better boxers than the Puerto Ricans? I highly doubt it. We have got 58 champions so far… how many do they have?


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wilfredo Vazquez Jr. vs. Marvin Sonsona is one of two world title fights featured on the split-site “The Double Assault” pay-per-view broadcast, commencing at 9 PM/ET live from Reben Rodriquez Coliseum in Bayamon, Puerto Rico, the hometown Vazquez, Jr., who plans to make Puerto Rican history by defeating 19-year-old Sonsona.

The unique, double-barrelled broadcast is being distributed in the United States and Canada by Integrated Sports Media for live viewing at 9 PM/ET – 6 PM/PT on both cable and satellite pay-per-view via iN Demand, DIRECTV, TVN, DISH Network, Viewer’s Choice and Shaw PPV.

0 comments